Sunday, March 6, 2011

Willow Tree “Care-a-Lot”

When I was a child, or perhaps when I was a bit too old to pretend I was a child, I loved the Care Bears. The opening song made me want to cry. I probably did cry; that was many years ago. I loved their little escape in the clouds, their little pastel heaven of hearts and stars and rainbows. They each had a symbol on their chest signifying what they represented, and like angels, they went about their business looking for good deeds to do.

I fell in love with Willow Tree angels as a result of observing them momentarily and flashing back to Care-a-Lot, that perfect land of the Care Bears. It is an escape back to the deepest self, the purest self that stems outward from childhood with branches touching upon pains and heartaches until we harden with resilient bark. Care Bears, like Willow Tree angels, are an immediately timeless return to the seed of the soul. One big difference, however, is while I might be considered batty if at my age I had a house full of Care Bears, Willow Tree angels are the socially acceptable adult-friendly substitute.

I gaze upon my angel collection and secretly return to Care-a-Lot, and I don’t feel so intimidated by the sometimes ugly world. I even feel like I have little figurine friends who speak not in words but in simply being.

No comments: